Baseball

Challenge:

I found this baseball… but… it doesn’t really look like a baseball?

Solution:

I started with a quick inspection of the file to determine the file-type:

$ file baseball
baseball: ASCII text, with no line terminators

Followed by inspecting the file contents:

$ head baseball
TzRaVUNVMlRNRTRIQTZMSFBGWkdTNVpTSzVZVU1ZSllIQk5ER00zREdKTkhBVTJWSkJHVkNWMllPRlVFSzMyRE9GTUVNMkNaR0Y1RU1VUlpNUlNHS1JSWE9CQ1VVU1pZSk4ySEFWVFVPVTJGQzJDV000WlUyUVNHSlpBVFNNUT0=

The content appeared to be encoded so I leveraged CyberChef to perform additional analysis. This challenge was made quite easy with CyberChef’s “magic wand” detection, which quickly determined the encoded string was produced with three operations; Base58, followed by Base32, followed by Base64. Reversing the operations produced the flag.

Published:

Updated:

Leave a comment